Friday, April 1, 2011

The Hunger Games


I really enjoyed the novel The Hunger Games. I like reading books that keep my interest and once I started Hunger Games, I couldn’t put it down. I finished it in one day. It was definitely my favorite novel we’ve read so far. This novel relates to the conversations we have been having in class about reality TV and the viewers. Reality TV is just for entertainment and we all have no idea why we love it so much, and that is kind of how the Games are portrayed in the novel. Everyone watches their own families being killed, and yet no one does anything about it. Obviously, we don’t watch people killing each other on reality TV, but they certainly do some pretty dumb things.
While I was reading the novel, I felt like I was one of the viewers of the game. Haymitch was fabricating the whole Katniss and Peeta relationship, but I wanted them to really be together and that is exactly how he wanted people to react when they watched, so I thought that was pretty interesting. It just shows how much people enjoy watching love stories or other types of drama.
Last week, I was flipping through the channels and stumbled upon the movie “Death Race.” I think it is very similar to The Hunger Games because in the movie, the characters are all prisoners that want their freedom. To do this, they must enter a car race, and fight to the death. There is only one winner, and it is controlled entirely by the people operating the prison. These matches are also televised, like the Games, and they even say that they have more viewers than the superbowl. Here is a preview of the movie, starring Jason Statham:

Also... I was reading E!News and Hunger Games is actually being made into a movie right now! Jennifer Lawrence will be playing Katniss, but they are still casting for Peeta.

3 comments:

  1. I am so excited that this book is being turned into a movie! I can't wait. I completely agree with you, I felt like a viewer of the games just with an inside scoop. But I understand the relationship between the viewers and the tributes is like us and stars from reality shows we watched. They act stuff out to keep us entertained. Just like Peeta and Katniss act out their relationship in order to keep the viewers interested. I also agree with you how it they do nothing about the entertainment of people being killed just like how we don't do anything about people acting stupid in order to keep us entertained.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited to hear that Hunger Games will be a movie! I loved the book and I can't wait to read the rest of the series. I have seen Death Race before, and now that you mention it I remember having the same weird feelings while watching that movie, as I did when I was reading Hunger Games. Why would anyone want to watch someone get killed? It creeps me out, but I guess it is what these people are used to. Death Race is very similar to Hunger Games though. I remember that the people in charge of the prison and the race would set traps to make things more difficult for the competitors, just like the gamemakers did in Hunger Games.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it will definitely be interesting to see how the Hunger Games movie turns out. It took me forever to get into the novel, but eventually I got hooked. I bought the other books of the trilogy, but have yet to find time to start reading them.

    ReplyDelete