Friday, April 8, 2011

A World without Books

Without books, the world would be a lot different. I think that we would definitely be the "dumbest generation" if we could not read books. There are so many different books on many different topics, reading makes people smarter. I don't know if I would necessarily miss books right away, but it would be a new experience being forbidden to read them. I think after time, I would miss reading. None of us would be where we are today without books. For each and every one of our classes, we are required to read and a lot of our education has been based on the books we read, especially this class. I don't usually read leisurely because I don't really have the time during school, but I enjoy reading in the summer, so it would be crazy to have that privilege taken away.

Metaphorically, I guess you can say we burn books every day. By using the internet to look up information we are burning books. I wonder when the last time someone went out to buy a dictionary or a thesaurus. I know that every time I need to look up the definition of a word, I go to dictionary.com or just simply google it. Also, by using Kindle and other types of online books, you could say we are burning books. Maybe in the future, we won't even have real books. Maybe all of our books will be on the internet. It would not surprise me, considering the amount of things that are already on the internet. I think this is because our generation is lazy. We don't want to look up words in the dictionary, we need answers at the snap of our fingers and that is exactly what the internet does.

2 comments:

  1. I agree, we would definitely be the "dumbest generation" without books. I think we take books for granted and that we may not think we will miss them but in the end you don't know what you got till its gone. I never thought about how we burn books by using the internet, it is true though. I use it to look up definitions and to google other things instead of using books to find the information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It scares me to think sometimes how close we really are to being the "dumbest generation". If books were completely taken away, and we just started looking up all of our information from the internet, we would turn our world into the world from Feed.

    ReplyDelete